Expression of Interest for Pilots
Whenever and wherever people in Queensland need us the most, we’re there. That’s how it’s been for almost a century. Join us and help us keep it that way.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. Using the latest in aviation, medical and communications technology, we deliver extensive primary healthcare and 24-hour emergency service, from nine strategic bases, to those who live, work and travel throughout Queensland.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service (Queensland Section) is looking for expressions of interest from experienced and enthusiastic pilots to join the Queensland team in expectation of future vacancies in our network. We are looking for pilots committed to helping make a real difference in the community. In return we offer a challenging and rewarding career operating a modern fleet of aircraft. You’ll be playing a vital role at the forefront of aeromedical aviation in providing dedicated aeromedical and primary health care services to regional and outback Queensland.
We have seven Operational Bases in our network:
- Mount Isa
RFDS Queensland uses a fleet of modern pressurised Beechcraft B200 and B350 high performance turboprop aircraft to deliver services. The aircraft are configured as an intensive care unit to transport patients in a two-stretcher configuration. The flying is diverse, ranging from operating in remote parts of the country to flying an instrument approach into a major International Airport. We flew 7,743,604 kilometres, moving 11,442 patients on primary evacuation and inter-hospital transfer services in the past year.
If you are up for this challenge and you believe you can lend your skill set to the task, put your name forward today.
You will be:
- Working in a diverse and demanding environment on time critical tasks
- Forming part of a highly skilled and motivated multidisciplinary team
- Experiencing flying operations from remote emergency airstrips to major capital city aerodromes and everything in between
- Operating modern high-performance pressurised turboprop aircraft in a single Pilot environment
- Enjoying the rewards of providing a critical aviation service in Clinic and/or Medevac and Hospital operations throughout Qld and interstate
Why join Us?
In return for your skills, enthusiasm and commitment to our mission, we offer you the unique opportunity to make a real impact in Queensland communities and play your part towards helping others. Everyday you’ll work with passionate and dedicated individuals who are proud of their contribution to our iconic organisation and embody our mission—the furthest corner, the finest care.
As a critical member of our exceptional frontline team, your specialist skills will allow you to embrace this unique and exceptional professional challenge. Not only will you utilise all the skills you’ve worked hard to acquire, you’ll be making a difference to people’s everyday lives through delivering vital care in emergency situations. And no one day is ever the same – with a workplace spanning thousands of kilometres through regional and outback Queensland, you’ll experience work and life like never before.
Along with this, the RFDS also offers an attractive, above award remuneration including remote area incentives for eligible areas.
Who we are looking for?
Desirable requirements of the role:
- Current Instrument Rating- Multi Engine Aircraft with four or more renewals
- Hold a current Australian ATPL / CPL and class 1 medical in Single Pilot Operations
- 4000 hours flying time in total
- 2000 hours as Pilot in Command
- 1000 hours as Pilot in Command of Multi-engine aircraft
- 200 hours as Pilot in Command at night
- 200 hours instrument time
- Turbine experience
- Flexible in your preferred working location
- Australian Citizenship, Residency or approved work Visa
- An Australian Command Multi Engine Instrument Rating, or military equivalent
- Physically able to manage a level of manual handling, specifically handling of patients and equipment when required
- Demonstrated situational leadership and logistics management abilities.
- Demonstrated maturity and stability of employment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- An understanding of the needs of remote and regional Australia and its people
There are also three ‘must-haves’ that we look for in every employee of RFDS (Queensland section). We want people who:
- Are passionate about providing the finest care to people in Queensland;
- Go above and beyond to drive a positive, cohesive team culture – helping each other to help others;
- Embrace the challenges our organisation faces - have the motivation to help us thrive in a competitive, commercial, KPI-driven environment
If you interested in lodging an expression of interest and meet the above requirements, please fill out the below questionnaire.
Please note this is an active hold list for potential vacancies and may stay open for a long period of time. Candidates will receive an email updating them on the status of their application once the assessment process has been completed but please be patient as the due to the interest this may not be immediately.
Thank you for your patience.
Please note: This role will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug and alcohol test and apply for and maintain a maintain a current Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), hold a current drivers licence and hold a Blue Card issued by the Commission for Children and Young People. As part of this role you will be required to provide evidence of immunity or vaccination against VPD.
The RFDS is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.