Manager - Clinical and Base Operations
Whenever and wherever people in Queensland need us the most, we’re there. That’s how it’s been for almost a century. Join us and help us keep it that way.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. Using the latest in aviation, medical and communications technology, we deliver extensive primary healthcare and 24-hour emergency service, from nine strategic bases, to those who live, work and travel throughout Queensland.
We have a unique full-time opportunity to lead our Bundaberg team into the future as the Manager of Clinical and Base Operations.
Reporting into our State Manager Operations, you will be a valued ‘stand-alone’ senior frontline manager providing effective supportive management for the Bundaberg team and leadership to the Senior Base Pilot, Flight Nurses and administration employees.
This role offers the unique opportunity to utilise your exceptional leadership skills whilst providing high quality patient care, with approximately two shifts per week dedicated to operational base leadership, and two clinical shift per week performing Aeromedical Flight Nurse responsibilities. As such, to be successful in the role you will be a Registered Nurse/ Midwife and have prior experience working in a critical care environment.
The essential components of your role will consist of:
- Leading a high performance culture to ensure that base staff actively support and positively contribute to meeting the company's strategic objectives;
- Overseeing all base operations in conjunction with the base team to ensure service delivery KPIs are achieved, and the base staff are delivery focused;
- Being an ambassador for our service in the area and support close working relations with internal, external stakeholders and service providers;
- Managing work rosters, base budgets, leave balances and planning, while also being on call for staff issues and operational incidents;
- Ensuring base resources are utilised effectively to enable the delivery of a 24/7 safe, high quality and efficient service meeting our community and contractual obligations;
- Facilitating the provision of nursing education activities including but not limited to supporting nurse educator roles and enabling student placements;
- Performing clinical services as required by the base roster, including providing high-quality care that reflects current best practice to patients on transfers and retrievals.
Who we are looking for?
To be successful in this role, you must be an experienced and high-performing Registered Nurse and Midwife with AHPRA registration, with proven experience in leadership and management. You will be an autonomous, resilient and tenacious leader that will build positive relationships, and work collaboratively with your team of highly skilled and extremely committed specialists, in order to achieve best practice clinical care in a fast-paced, challenging and commercially sensitive environment.
Your adaptability and exceptional organisational and problem-solving skills will enable you to address unexpected new challenges at short notice with integrity and a professional manner.
- Post graduate experience including a minimum three to five years’ recent experience in a critical care environment in either a recognised Major Regional or Tertiary Hospital Emergency Department, with a 24 hour in-department medical coverage or a recognised Intensive Care Unit. The required time can consist of critical care experience across both environments.
- Current Advanced Life Support (ALS), Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Neonatal resuscitation certification. (This will need to be obtained prior to starting employment, or shortly thereafter); and
- Education, training and /or relevant experience equivalent to the completion of a tertiary qualification in Business or Health Management.
There are also three ‘must-haves’ that we look for in every employee of RFDS (Queensland section). We want people who:
- Are passionate about providing the finest care to people in Queensland;
- Go above and beyond to drive a positive, cohesive team culture – helping each other to help others;
- Embrace the challenges our organisation faces - have the motivation to help us thrive in a competitive, commercial, KPI-driven environment.
Why join Us?
In return for your skills, energy and commitment to our mission, we offer you the opportunity to make a real impact in Queensland communities and truly help others. You will be working with people who are passionate about our purpose and proud of their contribution to our iconic organisation.
As a valuable member of a passionate team driving RFDS service and care, you will come to work knowing that you and your colleagues are providing vital support to people in Queensland communities. Critically, you are also helping ensure our organisation is efficient, effective and sustainable now and in the future.
An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant, comprising of a base salary, super, relocation assistance if needed and generous salary packaging arrangements.
Please note: Successful candidates will be subject to a Police Check, be subject to a pre-employment drug and alcohol testing, hold a current, unrestricted Australian Driver's Licence and obtain an Aviation Security Identification (ASIC) Card.
You will be required to go through the RFDS credentialing process which includes providing certified copies of qualifications and registrations and providing evidence of your immunisation status.
The RFDS is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.