Mental Health Clinician
Cairns - headspace
Established in 2006, headspace is making a difference to the lives of thousands of young Australians in the area of youth mental health, by:
- Giving young Australians and their families the opportunity to seek help early
- Making it easier for young people and their families to access information
- Creating awareness and educating young people, families and the broader community about how to get help
headspace Cairns (under the direction of the RFDS (Qld) Services Limited) is an innovative youth service, delivering primary and mental health, alcohol and drug services, social welfare and vocational services to young people aged 12-25 years.
Headspace Cairns is branching out and will soon be providing a Satellite Service into the Cassowary Coast and the Atherton Tablelands. We are looking for dynamic and skilled, a Senior Mental Health Clinician to deliver Intake Assessment, Psychoeducation, and Interventions to young people in the regions and by e-health from Cairns. Current funding for this role is in place until 30 June 2018.
The role requires a health professional with qualifications and experience in assessment and treatment of mental health and other related issues for young people, in one of the following areas: Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy, or Mental Health Nursing. With the base in Cairns, the new headspace Satellite service will visit Innisfail, Tully and Atherton, Mareeba on fortnightly rotations, meaning you will be required to be away from home one to two nights per week. Follow up counselling and assessments with be conducted on other days from the headspace Centre in Cairns, using e-health. You will work in a semi-autonomous way within the supportive multidisciplinary team structure at headspace Cairns.
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Approved tertiary qualification in an allied health discipline, including psychology, mental health nursing, social work, and occupational therapy
- Eligibility for membership of an appropriate professional body. Psychologists, mental health nurses, and occupational therapists are required to have full registration with AHPRA. Social workers are required to be eligible for full membership with AASW
- Demonstrated clinical skill in best practice mental health assessment
- A sound knowledge of the common mental health issues faced by young people, therapeutic interventions for high prevalence disorders (such as CBT for mood and anxiety disorders) and the literature underpinning such approaches
- Developed and demonstrable interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) as well as demonstrated abilities in problem solving and negotiation
- Readiness to seek support and consultation from Senior staff where needed
- Ability to engage with and provide services to young people
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, policies and strategic directions of mental health services and literature on early intervention models for young people experiencing (or at risk of) a serious mental illness
- Computer literacy particularly in the effective use of Microsoft office and related programs
- Current Drivers Licence and willingness to travel to other locations within the District.
- Experience with online or telephone service provision
- Experience in the provision of mental health care, including completion of mental health assessments, crisis intervention, psycho-education and short term treatment interventions to young people experiencing mental health difficulties.
Please note: This role will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug and alcohol test and will be subject to criminal history check and will require a working with children bluecard.
If this role sounds like you, please apply today!
Enquiries please contact Marie O’Dea, Manager, headspace Cairns for further discussion 07 4041 3780. We look forward to hearing from you.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 15 January 2015
The RFDS is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.