Primary Health Care Nurse (Midwifery)
The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world. Using the latest in aviation, medical and communications technology, it delivers extensive primary health care and 24-hour emergency service to those who live, work and travel Australia. The range of essential health care services includes general practice, Indigenous health, child and family health, social and emotional wellbeing, women’s health, health promotion activities and provides regular patient transfers for life-saving medical care.
Today, the RFDS (Queensland Section) has nine bases across the state plus the Corporate Office, services an area of 1,727,200 sq. km, and provided care to more than 91,000 patients in the last year.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service Qld (RFDS) is looking for a passionate, positive and dedicated person for the role of Primary Health Care Nurse (Midwifery).
- Fixed-term, full-time role until 30 June 2018
- Based in Cairns, fly in/fly out with frequent overnight stays in various remote and/or indigenous communities including the Gulf Country Region of Queensland, and Cape York
You must be:
- Passionate about our mission – providing excellence in aeromedical and primary health care across Queensland, and be proud to positively represent the RFDS
- An provider of world-class, evidence-based Primary Health Care nursing practices, understanding and embracing the importance of confidentiality, record-keeping and reporting
- Able to work autonomously and take ownership, in an isolated and often challenging environment
This is your opportunity to really make a difference where it is needed most – in the lives and health of children and families living, travelling and working in Queensland’s remote communities. PHC Nurses provide essential healthcare services through the delivery of RFDS Primary Health Care clinics, including antenatal care and education, child health development checks, immunisations and parenting programs.
The role provides exceptional opportunities for personal development and growth. A comprehensive orientation program is provided prior to the commencement of duties, and continuous learning and training will follow throughout your career. An attractive remuneration package is offered including salary sacrificing options, and relocation assistance can be provided where needed.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A minimum four years of postgraduate nursing experience
- Current nursing and midwifery registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Tertiary qualifications or post-registration qualifications in Nursing and Midwifery
- Current Advanced Life Support (ALS) and Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification (the successful candidate will be required to obtain this certification if they are not current before starting employment or shortly thereafter)
- Post graduate experience in Child and Family and qualifications related to Child and Family Health is highly desirable
Previous experience in rural and remote health and/or working with indigenous families would be beneficial. You must be willing to stay overnight in remote and indigenous communities and fly on light aircraft.
To discuss this role further please contact Marita Box on 0447 135 278.
Applications will only be accepted via the online application portal. You will be asked to attach a current resume, evidence of ALS and PALS certification and complete pre-screening questions.
Application Closing Date
5pm Tuesday 25 July
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, and will be subject to a criminal history check.
The RFDS is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People are encouraged to apply.